Tuesday, July 21, 2009

How I Became a Raw Foodist OR Did I Really Have to Feel Like I Was Dying Just to Change My Diet?

If you would have told me a year and a half ago that I would be eating primarily a raw food diet, I would have looked at you in complete disbelief. I was 42 years old , well-educated (law degree and MBA) and ate, what I thought and knew at the time, was a reasonably well-balanced healthy diet. I ate meat, dairy, grains (breads, pasta and rice), fruit and vegetables. I did not eat fast food or junk food and didn't drink soda.

I believed that if a person ate a well-balanced moderate diet they would be healthy. In my mind, people who followed and changed diets weekly based on the most recent best-selling diet book were gullible. And vegetarians were weird characters from the 60's or wannabes who longed for that era, and they were a pain to eat with because they always questioned everything on the menus at restaurants ("Is the vegetable soup made with chicken broth?").

However, at that point in my life I felt horrible. I had been struggling to recover from Chronic Fatigue and Adrenal Fatigue for a few years and I had an extra 25 lbs that I struggled to lose after I had my baby. I was tired all the time and couldn’t get out of bed, even though I would sleep for 12 hours. I was stiff and achy, like I was beat up or in a bad car accident. My inability to concentrate left many started and unfinished projects and my memory wasn't sharp. My immune system was compromised. I was constantly getting colds that would last for 8 weeks at a time. My throat was constantly sore and lymph nodes swollen.

Finally after various blood tests, a CAT scan, MRI, heart tests, and visits to several conventional and alternative medical practitioners, I was referred to a naturopath who, I was told, could help me. After a very lengthy and detailed consultation with him, he simply said to me, “Well, the first thing I’m going to ask you to do is change your diet.”

I looked at him in surprise. “THAT WAS IT?” I thought. I couldn’t believe it. I was a bit offended. After all, I felt like I was dying. Changing my diet seemed too benign of an approach to treat my health issues. I felt like he wasn’t taking me or my condition seriously. But, by this time, after a year and a half of trying various treatments, I was desperate. My ego had been beaten down, and my willpower to question and argue was subdued. I was open to anything.

“Just tell me what to do,” I said resignedly. I felt I had nothing left to lose. My naturopath suggested a blood type diet. Since I have type A blood, I am supposed to eat a more vegan type of diet (no red meat and no dairy). After 2 weeks, I surprisingly had 50% more energy and I felt like a fog lifted from my brain. (Do you hear "Let the Sunshine In" playing in the background?) After three months, my energy was even better and I lost 15 lbs.

Emboldened by my progress, I did a 30-day supervised cleanse. By the end, I was juicing and eating primarily raw fruits and vegetables. And that was the turning point for me. I felt SO GOOD. I felt light and clear-headed. I felt like I was vibrating. And, I had great energy. People would compliment me on everything – my energy, my eyes, my skin – and I could confidently wear the bikini I wore on my honeymoon. By the end of the cleanse, I didn’t want to put any processed foods in my body. I asked my cleanse consultant, “Now what? How do I feed myself now that I’m done?” And that’s when I discovered the raw food diet - eatng foods (mainly fruit, vegetables and nuts) that are uncooked.

That was a year ago. Since then, I’ve been eating primarily raw food. My only exceptions are Ezekiel tortillas, the occasional pizza or cupcake at a birthday party for my son or one of his friends, and other foods that I may nibble on in social settings. I also eat various super foods and take a few supplements. I’m happy with my progress, the state of my health and the knowledge I’ve gained.

But, I keep wondering, why didn’t I know about eating raw food before? And, why did it take me to get sick and spend a few years and so much money to discover a very simple approach to regain my health? I know that every body is different, and what works for one person may not work for another, but people are sharing their stories with me about how their health or that of a loved one improved dramatically after changing or modifying their diet. As the United States discusses how to revamp our health care system, maybe we need to pay some attention to the basics: diet re-education.

No comments:

Post a Comment